Skip to content
There are 10 hard lessons you’ll learn when you decide to publish a book.
- There’ll be many people who will congratulate you but never read your book.
- There will be the occasional bad review.
- You should never reply to a bad review. If you do, you’ll regret it.
- You won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. And that’s okay.
- Someone close to you will think your writing time is the perfect time to talk.
- You won’t become famous or rich because of your book.
- You will have to pay for promotion; nothing is free.
- You will give more books away than you’d planned on.
- There will be mistakes in your book despite everyone’s best efforts.
- You will have to speak in public about your book.
And there are 10 perks to being an author.
- You’ll get to talk about your book everywhere you go.
- Friends will enjoy introducing you as a published author.
- You’ll be allowed to be moody and uncommunicative for hours at a time while in the company of others.
- Authors drink coffee in the morning hours, and wine in the evening hours. It’s a rule.
- Some people will actually read your book!
- And occasionally, you will get a glowing review.
- You’ll be the subject of an interview or blog.
- You have the option of working in your pajamas all day on the couch, as long as the laptop is open.
- Daydreaming is still writing time. So is watching movies and reading books that are not your own.
- You’ll be asked to sign your book.